The First German Sport Club Phoenix was founded on April 9, 1926 at a meeting held at the West Philadelphia Maennerchor Hall. On November 13, 1932, a group of 13 ladies met and established the Phoenix Ladies Auxiliary.
In April of 1933, the Club moved from their location, The Liedertafel Saengerbund Hall on 6th Street and Erie Avenue, to a new home on 3808 N. Broad Street in Philadelphia. The furthering of the social life of the Club was not to become the only activity of the newly formed Ladies Auxiliary, as the game of Fistball was started. The Ladies’ Fistball teams progressed quite well and soon participated in tournaments with much success with teams from other clubs. Today, Fistball is still played and enjoyed by a new generation. Gymnastic classes were organized later in 1933 at Simon Gratz High School. Gymnastic exercises and drills were performed at anniversaries and other functions for many, many years.
In 1938, the club bought 36 acres of land in Feasterville, our present home. We first started our cooking on a small stove in a one-room clubhouse until additions were made.
The Ladies Auxiliary has always played an important role in the Phoenix Club. While the members work hard, we also have fun. Our activities include: Schlachtfest Dinner in February, Fashion Show/Dinner in May, and Penny Party in September. Our ladies help with the Children’s Easter Egg Hunt, Hayrides in October, and the Children’s Christmas Party. We have sponsored Dances, Card & Bingo Parties, Spaghetti Dinners, and Mystery Dinner Theatres at our club and have run day trips to Atlantic City, Lancaster, Delaware, New York and Washington, DC.
Original and new traditions continue. In November 2004, the Phoenix Ladies Auxiliary will proudly celebrate its 72nd Anniversary. Our membership has grown over the years and different generations have come and gone but our most important bond of lasting friendship with a common goal still exists.
We have been instrumental in the success of the Phoenix Club. Through the years, due to the dedication, support and hard work of our members, past and present, the Phoenix Ladies Auxiliary remains strong and looks forward to a bright and promising future.
We invite you to join us at our meetings, the third Thursday each month @ 8 PM (except July and August), and to also come out and enjoy yourself at our activities this year. For additional information, you may contact Helen 215-822-2032 or Diane 856-786-0346.